By Serafina Cuomo
This quantity deals the 1st obtainable survey of the self-discipline in all its style and variety of practices. The interval coated levels from the 5th century BC to the 6th century advert, with the point of interest at the Mediterranean quarter. issues include:
* arithmetic and politics in classical Greece
* the formation of mathematical traditions
* the self-image of mathematicians within the Graeco-Roman period
* arithmetic and Christianity
* and using the mathematical prior in overdue antiquity.
Read or Download Ancient Mathematics (Sciences of Antiquity Series) PDF
Similar ancient history books
From the Iliad to Aristophanes, from the gospel of Matthew to Augustine, Greek and Latin texts are constellated with descriptive pictures of goals. This cultural heritage of desires in antiquity attracts on either modern post-Freudian technology and cautious reviews of the traditional texts. Harris takes an elusive topic and writes approximately it with rigor and precision, reminding us of specificities, contexts, and altering attitudes via background.
Devotion to faith used to be the distinguishing attribute of the Etruscan humans, the main strong civilization of Italy within the Archaic interval. From a really early date, Etruscan faith unfold its impression into Roman society, in particular with the perform of divination. The Etruscan priest Spurinna, to offer a widely known instance, warned Caesar to watch out the Ides of March.
Anunnaki: fake Gods extends Zecharia Sitchin's translations from clay pills that underlie the Bible. 10,000 years in the past, scribes in historic Sumer (Iraq) wrote on those pills what they stated the Anunnaki gods (tall humans from the sky) dictated. Sitchin requested Dr. Lessin continue public realization on his legacy via growing an instructional software.
Herod: King of the Jews and pal of the Romans examines the existence, paintings, and impression of this arguable determine, who continues to be the main hugely obvious of the Roman consumer kings less than Augustus. Herod’s rule formed the area during which Christianity arose and his impression can nonetheless be obvious at the present time. during this increased moment variation, additions to the unique textual content contain dialogue of the archaeological proof of Herod’s job, his construction application, numismatic proof, and attention of the jobs and actions of different purchaser kings in terms of Herod.
- Religious Rivalries and the Struggle for Success in Caesarea Maritima (Studies in Christianity and Judaism)
- Religion and Society in Ancient Thessaly (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- Tiberius Gracchus und die lex Sempronia agraria: Der Versuch einer Agrarreform (German Edition)
- Schliemanns Grabungen in Troia – eine Leistung für die Nachwelt oder Fehleinschätzung der Geschichte? (German Edition)
Additional resources for Ancient Mathematics (Sciences of Antiquity Series)