By Pamela Richards,Wayne Wiegand,Marija Dalbello
A wide, comparative historical past of librarianship, this fascinating paintings is going past the traditional concentrate on associations and collections that will help you discover the half sleek librarianship played—and maintains to play—in forming Western cultures.
• Discusses the cultural function of libraries and the function of data in shaping smooth society
• Deepens readers' realizing of the background of the 20 th century and sleek librarianship, together with electronic convergence of the earlier decades
• Analyzes the cycles of "information explosion" and a number of details eras as a part of the advance of librarianship over greater than a century
• Explores tensions round expert neutrality within the provision of public entry to details and data in a democratic society
Read Online or Download A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures PDF
Similar library & information science books
Comparing Demand-Driven Acquisitions examines contemporary examine in demand-driven acquisitions with the intention to improve an assessment framework particular to demand-driven courses. The chapters during this quantity concentrate on the factors and techniques which are used to judge the result of demand-driven courses in study.
From the present vantage aspect of the transformation of books and libraries, B. Venkat Mani provides a ancient account of worldwide literature. through finding translation, booklet, and move alongside routes of “bibliomigrancy”—the actual and digital stream of books—Mani narrates how international literature is coded and recoded as literary works locate new houses on far flung bookshelves.
This authoritative consultant to the rules and perform of records administration in inner most and public quarter organisations has been considerably revised. It now presents precise suggestion on adjustments in nationwide and overseas criteria and methods, particularly ISAD(G) (International typical Archival Description) and ISASAR(CPF) (International usual Archive Authority Record).
A desirable and informative learn for librarians, library employees, and MLIS scholars, this booklet bargains functional info instructions to envision present matters in censorship and libraries whereas additionally permitting readers to think about their very own evaluations approximately highbrow freedom and censorship.
- Floating Collections: A Collection Development Model for Long-Term Success: A Collection Development Model for Long-Term Success
- Inquiry and the Common Core: Librarians and Teachers Designing Teaching for Learning: Librarians and Teachers Designing Teaching for Learning
- The Accidental Law Librarian (The Accidental Library Series)
- Mayan Folktales, Cuentos folklóricos mayas: Cuentos Folkloricos Mayas (World Folklore Series)
- Serving Older Teens (Libraries Unlimited Professional Guides for Young Adult Librarians Series)
Extra info for A History of Modern Librarianship: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures: Constructing the Heritage of Western Cultures