By Honora Howell Chapman,Zuleika Rodgers
- Represents the 1st single-volume choice of readings to target Josephus
- Covers a variety of disciplinary techniques to the topic, together with reception history
- Features contributions from 29 eminent students within the box from 4 continents
- Reveals very important insights into the Jewish and Roman worlds in the interim while Christianity was once gaining floor as a movement
Named Outstanding educational identify of 2016 by Choice Magazine, a book of the yank Library Association
Read or Download A Companion to Josephus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
From the Iliad to Aristophanes, from the gospel of Matthew to Augustine, Greek and Latin texts are constellated with descriptive photographs of goals. This cultural historical past of desires in antiquity attracts on either modern post-Freudian technology and cautious opinions of the traditional texts. Harris takes an elusive topic and writes approximately it with rigor and precision, reminding us of specificities, contexts, and altering attitudes via historical past.
Devotion to faith used to be the distinguishing attribute of the Etruscan humans, the main robust civilization of Italy within the Archaic interval. From a truly early date, Etruscan faith unfold its impression into Roman society, particularly with the perform of divination. The Etruscan priest Spurinna, to offer a widely known instance, warned Caesar to watch out the Ides of March.
Anunnaki: fake Gods extends Zecharia Sitchin's translations from clay drugs that underlie the Bible. 10,000 years in the past, scribes in old Sumer (Iraq) wrote on those drugs what they acknowledged the Anunnaki gods (tall humans from the sky) dictated. Sitchin requested Dr. Lessin maintain public consciousness on his legacy by way of developing an academic application.
Herod: King of the Jews and pal of the Romans examines the lifestyles, paintings, and effect of this arguable determine, who is still the main hugely noticeable of the Roman patron kings lower than Augustus. Herod’s rule formed the realm within which Christianity arose and his effect can nonetheless be noticeable this present day. during this increased moment version, additions to the unique textual content contain dialogue of the archaeological proof of Herod’s task, his construction application, numismatic facts, and attention of the jobs and actions of different shopper kings in terms of Herod.
- The Oxford Handbook of the Valley of the Kings (Oxford Handbooks)
- Hidden Wisdom: The Secrets of the Western Esoteric Tradition
- Manching und die keltische Oppidakultur (German Edition)
- Kaiser Augustus - Die Neuordnung des Jahres 27 v. Ch. (German Edition)
Extra resources for A Companion to Josephus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)